Yesterday I told you about the nutritional benefits of strawberries. To follow up, here are some of the ways I like to include my farmers market strawberries into meals (you can do the same with strawberries from the supermarket too!):
- Top whole grain cereal, waffles, or pancakes with fat free yogurt and chopped fresh strawberries as a substitute for butter and syrup.
- Make a Fresh Strawberry and Cream Cheese sandwich – perfect for the lunchbox!
- Spread 1 tablespoon of reduced-fat cream cheese on 2 slices whole wheat bread. Top with 1/8 teaspoon freshly grated orange zest and sliced strawberries. For some additional sweetness you can add ¼ teaspoon honey.
- Add flavor and color to green salads for lunch or dinner.
- Combine arugula, baby spinach, and watercress on a plate. Add sliced fresh strawberries, toasted chopped pecans, and crumbled goat cheese to the mixed greens. Top with red wine vinegar and olive oil.
- Try a strawberry, melon and avocado salad.
- Top baby spinach with thin slices of avocado, cantaloupe, and strawberries. Dress the salad with a simple combination of honey, red wine vinegar, fresh mint, and black pepper.
- For dessert, enjoy sliced fresh strawberries with a dash of cinnamon and a sprinkle of cocoa powder!
What’s your favorite way to eat strawberries?
This post was written by nutritioulicious™ intern Jo Bartell