I am excited to be part of a new recipe challenge that is starting this month, called The Recipe Redux. Perhaps you have seen other recipe challenges in the blogosphere, but this one is different because it’s founded by registered dietitians like myself! Every month I will post a recipe based on a theme set by the founders of The Recipe Redux and I will share with you links to other Recipe Reduxer blog posts – that means you’ll end up with lots of new recipes to try! This month’s theme is grilling, a topic I have covered before. So I racked my brain for something new I could grill and here is what I came up with: Grilled Salmon Burgers with Cherry Chutney (and a side of snap peas).
Grilled Salmon Burgers
- 1 pound salmon fillet, skinned and chopped
- 3/4 cup finely chopped red onion
- 1 serrano pepper, diced (remove seeds before dicing and add based on level of spiciness desired)
- 1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- 1 large egg white
- 1-2 tablespoons whole wheat panko
- 1/4 teaspoon Kosher salt
- Freshly ground pepper, to taste
- Cooking spray for the grill
- 4 whole wheat hamburger buns
- Cherry Chutney (see recipe below)
- In a large bowl, combine the first 8 ingredients and mix well.
- Divide the mixture into 4 equal portions, shaping them into burger patties.
- Heat a grill pan or outdoor grill to medium-high heat and coat pan or grill grates with cooking spray. When the grill is hot, add the patties and cook about 3 minutes on each side or until cooked to desired degree of doneness. Serve patties on hamburger buns with Cherry Chutney on top.
Serves ~ 8
- 1 cup pitted cherries, sliced in half
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 cup chopped red onion
- 1 habanero pepper, minced (remove seeds before dicing and add based on level of spiciness desired)
- 3 tablespoons sugar
- 1/2 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
- pinch of ground ginger
- pinch of ground cinnamon
- pinch of ground nutmeg
- 1 teaspoon cornstarch
- In a small saucepan, combine all the ingredients except for the cornstarch. Bring to a boil over medium heat.
- Turn down the heat, cover, and simmer gently for about 30 minutes.
- Remove cover and continue to simmer for about 5 minutes. If the mixture is still very liquidy, add cornstarch and stir until it dissolves well. Simmer for another few minutes until the mixture has thickened.
- Remove from the heat and transfer to a bowl. If you have time, refrigerate the chutney for about an hour (and up to a week). Chutney will thicken as it cools.
For more grilling inspiration, here are the other great recipes from Recipe Reduxers:
Alexandra Caspero Alexandra made Grilled Summer Fruit Salad
Alysa Bajenaru – Inspired RD Alyssa from InspiredRD made Grilled Romaine Salad
Ann Dunaway Teh – Eat to Nourish, Energize & Flourish! Grilled Flank Steak with Grilled Corn and Peach Salsa
Cindy Brison – Nutrition Know How
Danielle Omar – Food Confidence Grilled Sweet Peppers
Diane Welland – EatWellEatClean Grilled Beet & Onion Salad with Goat Cheese
Dr Barb’s Grilled Corn and Tomato Salad – The Nutrition Budgeteer
EA Stewart – The Spicy RD Grilled Polenta Veggie Stacks with Balsamic Cherry Tomatoes
Emma Stirling – The Scoop on Nutrition Char Siu BBQ Pork
Gretchen – Kumquat Grilled Tandoori Chicken Skewers
Jackie Mills- Delicious Diabetes Cooking Grilled Proscuitto Shrimp with Asian Dipping Sauce
Jessica Fishman Levinson – Nutritioulicious Grilled Salmon Burgers with Cherry Chutney
Kat Lynch – Eating The Week Portobello mushrooms stuffed with spiced couscous
Katie Caputo- East Meats West Succulent Sirloin Kabobs
Kristen – Swanky Dietitian Portabella Mushroom Burgers with Grilled Corn
Lisa – Healthful Sense Grilled Veggie Bean Burgers
Liz Weiss and Janice Newell Bissex – Meal Makeover Moms’ Kitchen Mushroom Burgers with the Works, Mushroom Cannellini Spread
Marie Spano Italian Grilled Turkey Burgers
Nicole Ferring Holovach – Whole Health RD Grilled Eggs
Rebecca Scritchfield – MeFirst Grilled Plantains: A Sweet Summer Side Dish
Regan – The Professional Palate Grilled Eggplant & Two-Tomato Whole-Wheat Piadina
Serena – Teaspoon of Spice Grilled Watermelon Salad