In case you were wondering where my blog posts went at the end of the week, check out two guest posts I wrote. (You may have seen me link to them on Twitter or Facebook.)
First up, I wrote all about the HCG Diet for The Scoop on Nutrition, my fellow dietitian Emma Stirling’s blog in Australia.
Next, in my monthly post on the Sweet Spot Blog, “Variety, Balance, and Moderation are the Spice of Life,” covers the three basic principles of a healthy lifestyle.
I hope you enjoy the posts and feel free to comment here about what you think about the HCG diet and/or how you follow the healthy lifestyle principles.
Have a great weekend!
Posted in Behavior Modification, Guest Posts, Media, Nutrition Tips
Tagged balance, emma stirling, HCG diet, healthy lifestyle, moderation, nutritioulicious, the scoop on nutrition, variety
Clients and friends often ask me what they can do about their love for pizza when trying to eat healthier. My answer, as for most foods, is “everything in moderation.” Pizza is actually a healthy choice — it has carbs, protein, and veggies — if you choose wisely.
For the most Nutritioulicious™ pizza, follow these tips:
- Choose whole wheat crust if available
- Get a veggie slice, or if sharing a pie with friends add vegetables like broccoli, mushrooms, peppers, and onions as toppings
- Don’t get extra cheese
- Skip the pepperoni, sausage, and hamburger toppings
- Start with a mixed salad, which will fill you up and help you limit your pizza intake to one or two slices
- Go for the thin crust and steer clear of deep dish and stuffed crust varieties
- Stick with tomato sauce, rather than a white pizza without sauce
Some stats for you:
- Average slice of cheese pizza has 250-270 calories, 10 grams fat
- Average slice of thin crust cheese pizza has 190-200 calories, 10 grams fat
- Slice of Pizza Hut Thin ‘N Crispy Veggie Lover’s pizza has 240 calories, 9 grams fat
- Slice of Pizza Hut Hand-Tossed Meat Lover’s pizza has 450 calories, 24 grams fat
- California Pizza Kitchen’s BBQ Chicken pizza (whole pie) has 1060 calories (CPK does not disclose fat grams)
- One serving of Uno Chicago Grill Deep Dish Cheese & Tomato pizza has 580 calories, 40 grams fat
Stay tuned for my review of Kashi frozen pizza. What’s your favorite type of pizza?